To be able to use many of the cool services available on the Internet we must have a valid Google Account. However, it is also true that we all forget our passwords sometimes. In fact, it is very difficult to remember complicated passwords if you aren’t using a particular Google account for a long time. Thankfully, there are still multiple ways by which you can recover your old Google Account and create a new password.
If you are able to confirm your identity then Google will let you recover your old account. There are multiple ways to verify your identity to Google. Today’s post is for those users who aren’t able to sign into their old Google Account. Here, we will walk you through the step-by-step to recover an old Google Account in case of a forgotten password.
Google Account Recovery Procedure
Google is very strict as far as the security of its users is concerned. So, you should note that it is impossible to get your account back without confirming your identity. Nonetheless, if you are a legitimate user then proving your identity will not be an issue for you. The complete standard procedure of Google Password Recovery is explained below.
- To start the Google Account Recovery, you need to visit the Gmail sign-in page and click on the “Forgot Password” button.
- Now, a message will display on your screen asking you to provide the last Google password that you remember.
- Here, you should enter the last-known password and you will get to verify your identity in a variety of ways.
- If you don’t remember any of your previous passwords then you should click on the “Try a different question” button.
- In the next option, Google will send a password recovery code to your secondary email address. Please note that you must have an alternate email account linked with your old Google Account in order to be able to use this option.
- Instead of your secondary email address, you can also request a recovery code on your phone number. Remember, here we are presuming that you have a phone number linked with your Google Account.
- Once you are done requesting a recovery code, you should log into your secondary email address and access your phone.
- Copy the six-digit code that you will receive and paste the same in the tab in which you are running the Google password recovery.
- The option to create a new password will display on your screen once you are done entering the code.
- Now, you will have to provide a new password for your old Google Account.
- To confirm your new password, you will have to enter your new Google account password one more time.
- Finally, you should click on the “Save Changes” button to finish up the Google Account Recovery.
You may now sign in to your Google Account by entering your new login credentials.
Recover Old Google Account without phone number or Alternate Email Address
It is not necessary that everyone would have a phone number or a secondary email account associated with Google Account. If you are also one of these users then you would have to opt for older, less secure methods of account restoration i.e. answering the security questions.
- Firstly, you should visit the Google account recovery page and initiate the password recovery process normally.
- Click on the “Try Different” button when you are asked to provide the last password you remember.
- You need to click on the same button when asked to choose the password recovery options such as alternate email ID or phone number.
- Now, you must answer the security questions linked with your account. You will be asked questions such as your mother’s maiden name, your first school name, etc.
- You should try to answer all these questions as accurately as possible.
- You will get the option to create a new Google Account password if you answer the security questions correctly.
- Next, enter a new password for your Google Account and confirm the same by entering it for one more time.
- Finally, you may check your new login credentials by signing into your Google Account.
Secure Your Google Account
Once you are able to restore your Old Google Account we recommend you secure it. Go through our compiled list of tips and tricks to keep your account safe.
- Never share your login credentials with anybody in any condition.
- You should never save your login credentials on a device that is also used by other users.
- Restrict yourself from clicking the random and unverified links that you receive through email.
- Make sure you have a phone number linked with your Google account. If the phone number is not added then you should add the same immediately.
- We also recommend you add an alternate email ID to your Google ID. Remember, having a secondary email ID and Phone number linked with your account makes the password recovery process rather easy.
- Try to keep a long password for your Google account. Our recommendation is that your password should have at least 12-14 characters. Please note a longer password is always considered safer.
- You should stay away from obvious dictionary words and combinations of dictionary words. These common worlds can be easily guessed and make your account vulnerable.
- In your Google Account password, you should try to make a complex combination of Numbers, Symbols, Capital Letters, and Lower-Case Letters.