Apple has designed and created macOS in such a way that it remains easy to use for all the users. However, it is also true to using macOS can be a bit tricky for those users who decide to switch to macOS from Windows. Installing the software on Mac can be difficult for such users especially if the desired applications are not available on the App store.
In case you are looking to install apps from outside the mac app store, you will find various kinds of installers. These installers include DMG files with apps in them, PKG installers, and Simple applications inside ZIP archives. In this post, we are going to show you various methods to install software on Mac from different destinations.
How to install software on Mac from DMGs and other Archives?
How to Install Software on Mac Without Admin Password 2021 Most of the software on Mac are installed from DMGs and other archives if they are not available on the Mac store. Here are the steps that you need to follow in case you want to install Software on Mac from DMG files.
- First of all, you need to double-click the DMG file in order to open it. Now, a finder window will appear on your screen.
- Most of the time, in the finder window you will find the application you are looking to install.
- Installing the software after you find the application folder is quite easy. All you have to do is select the application’s icon and drag it to the Applications folder.
- You don’t have to do anything else. The installation will begin automatically.
Note: There is no need to add your favorite program application folder. The application will be added and get installed automatically.
- You should note that DMG files are mounted by your PC just like a virtual hard disk. Once you are done with the application installation, it is a smart idea to unmount the DMG in finder.
- In order to unmount the DMG finder, you just need to click on the “Eject” arrow.
How to Install Applications That Come in Zip, RAR, or 7Zip Archives?
Many a time, you will find that the applications that come in Zip, RAR, or 7Zip archives. In such cases, you need to open the archives in order to begin application installation on a Mac device.
- First of all, open the zip folder to see the applications in the folder.
- Now, simply drag the application icon to your Applications folder and you’re done.
- Many applications don’t come in any sort of archive at all. For such applications, you’ll download the application file directly. You have to drag the application icon to the application if you are looking to install it.
PKG Installers: Installation Wizards
In case you are tech-savvy then you might have come across a PKG file. Sometimes, you may download the PKG file directly and many a time, you have to download it directly. Given below are the steps that you have to follow in order to install PKG file
- To begin the installation of a PKG file, you just need to double-click the PKG file. Remember, you have to drag it somewhere.
- As soon as you double click the PKG file, a user interface will not appear on your screen. This user interface is quite similar to that of Windows installation wizards.
- You just have to follow the instructions that will be available in the installation wizards.
- This type of installers has some advantages like system services and the ability to put files elsewhere on the computer.
- When the installation process gets over, you may remove the PKG file and any DMG file that may come in.
What is the process to install files through steam and other third party App stores?
- Those who are interested in gaming might know about the steam. The method to install a software through steam is similar to the method to install an application on windows.
- Apart from the steam, other popular application stores are also available such as Setapp.
- Setapp is an incredible app store that allows you to install software very easily and offers unlimited access to dozens of popular Mac applications for a fair price.