Gmail is one of the best email service providers in the USA. Gmail with its several outstanding features has made communications pretty easy between the users. With any issues occurring with Gmail, the exchanging of messages can come to a halt causing work loss and other issues.
That is why there comes an urgent need to fix the Gmail not working in Chrome problem as soon as possible before it creates any disturbance in work. This article provides some easy ways in which the users can fix this issue all by themselves whenever encountered.
The reason why your Gmail is not working on Chrome
It is very important for you to understand that there is no fixed reason that we can label why responsible Gmail is not working properly on your Chrome browser. However, there are some common factors that are responsible for major problems while using Gmail on Google Chrome.
- Internet connection – A fast and smooth internet connection is the most basic requirement that is necessary in order to run Gmail on Chrome or another browser. In case your device is not connected to the internet then you might have to deal with the problem while running Gmail properly.
- Using an outdated version of the browser – Those who are using an outdated version of the browser might not be able to run Gmail properly on the same.
- Cache and Cookies of the browser – The purpose of cache and cookies on a web browser is to smoothen the internet browsing experience. However, it is also true that the accumulation of way too many cache and cookies is not good. Sometimes, you might face problems like Gmail not opening, stopped working, etc. due to the accumulation of way too much cache and cookies in the browser.
- Plugins and add-ons installed on the chrome browser – Many of us chrome users like to install different add-ons and plugins to the browser to make it smoother. But, there are some problematic plugins that can stop you from using all features of Gmail smoothly.
- Service Outage in the Area – It is also possible that there might be a service outage in your area due to which Gmail is not running on your Google chrome browser.
- Using Incorrect Login Credentials – The most common reason due to which users have to deal with a sign-in problem is entering incorrect login credentials. So, you must check the username and password you are entering in case you can’t sign-in
- Typing mistake while entering – Those who are not able to send an email might be making a typing mistake while entering the incorrect email address of their recipient
- Your Antivirus/ security software not allowing Gmail to work flawlessly – Sometimes, your security software such as your Antivirus or Windows firewall can also block the proper working of Gmail on your Chrome browser.
Simple Ways to Resolve Gmail Not Working Issue
To fix the Gmail not working problem on Chrome, you should follow the steps listed below. Please note that these tests are progressive in nature. It means you should follow each of the steps one by one.
- Check the Internet Connectivity
First and foremost, you need to understand the fact that there is no way you can run Gmail smoothly if you don’t have an Internet connection. So, to start the troubleshooting, you have to ensure that you are connected to the Internet. To check the same, you can open another website on your computer. If the website opens smoothly then it is an indication that there is no issue with your internet. Those who can’t open any website on their device need to fix their internet connection not Gmail or chrome.
- Ensure that there is no service outage in your area
It is also possible that you might not be the only one who is facing this issue. There might be a Gmail service outage in your area due to which you might not be able to use Gmail on chrome. However, you should also note that there is no impact of a service outage on the browser you are using. So, if your Gmail account is opening properly on another browser. Then, service outage is not the issue due to which you are facing a problem.
- Update your Google Chrome
In case the browser version you are using is out of date you need to update it to the latest version. Although, updates to Chrome are downloaded automatically by Google once available, if not then you need to do it manually. The steps to update Google Chrome are given below:
- Open Chrome on your computer and click on the ‘more’ option at the top-right corner.
- Click on ‘Update Google Chrome’ present at the end of the menu.
In case you don’t see this button, this means your Chrome is already up-to-date.
- Click on the ‘relaunch’ button to open the updated Chrome browser.
- Clear cookies and caches Gmail not Syncing Outlook Mac
Try clearing cookies and caches from your Chrome browser to see if this fixes the Gmail not working problem. The steps for the same are given below.
- Open Chrome; go to more tools and select ‘Clear browsing data’.
- Click on ‘Cookies and other site data’ and ‘cached image and files’.
- Click on the ‘clear data’ button.
- Disable extensions added to Chrome browser Gmail Stopped Working on iPhone
Sometimes extensions added to Chrome can create issues with the working of Gmail. Removing such extensions or disabling it temporarily can help fix the issues.
- To remove/ disable an extension, go to Chrome > More Tools.
- Select ‘extensions’ and a tab showing all the extensions added to Chrome will appear.
- Click on the ‘remove’ button to permanently remove the extension.
- However, if you cannot remove the extension, disable it by turning the toggle button to off.
- Restore settings to default
Sometimes, setting the Chrome browser to its default settings can help fix many issues including the Gmail not working. You can also call Gmail Customer Service Number for more assistance.
- Open Chrome browser and go to ‘settings’.
- Click on the ‘advanced’ option.
- Go to ‘reset and clean up’ and tap on ‘restore settings to their original defaults’.
- Click on ‘reset settings’ to restore Chrome.
- Reinstall the browser
In case none of the above steps works for you then you should make sure that you may consider reinstalling the browser. In order to reinstall the browser, first you need to uninstall the same. After that, you have to download the setup file of the browser from the Internet. Next, you are required to install the browser again.
- Check for other issues
- Make sure the problem is not with your internet.
- Your device should have all the important updates installed in it.
- There should be no issues with your email account or server.
- Check your system for the virus.
- You can also try switching the browser if needed.
How can I check if my Gmail is working?
Have you tried all the process shared above in case your Gmail not working in Chrome? Most probably your problem is solved. Now you can check if your Gmail is working in Chrome. Follow the steps below:
- Open Google chrome and go to Gmail login page.
- You’ll be asked to enter your login credentials like your username and password.
- Enter your login credentials and click login.
How to Fix Gmail login issues on Google Chrome?
As stated earlier in this post, if you can’t sign in to your Gmail account then it is quite possible that you might be entering an incorrect username or password. There is very little chance you might face a problem while sign in due to an issue with your browser. Those users who are unable to sign in to Gmail and can’t remember the password may follow the steps given below to reset Gmail password with ease.
- First of all, you need to run visit the official login page of Gmail i.e. www.gmail.com.
- Then, click on the sign-in option available at the top right corner of the screen.
- Now, the login window should appear on your screen.
- After that, you have to provide your email address or phone number associated with your Gmail account.
- Next, click on the “Forget Password” link appearing at the bottom of the window.
- In the next step, Google will ask you to click on the notification that it will send on your phone. You may click on the notification or click “Try another way”.
- Another way to verify your identity to Google is by clicking the verification link that will send on your alternate email ID or Phone number.
- Once, you are done with verifying your identity to Google, it will provide you with the option to create a new Gmail password.
- You may then create a new Gmail password as per choice.
- In case you have no options to verify your identity then Google will ask you some security questions related to your email account.
- If Google is satisfied with the answers provided by you to the security questions then you will receive the link to create a new Gmail password.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – 1: What is the maximum size of an email attachment that I can send with my Gmail account?
Answer: Gmail allows you to send an attachment of up to 25 MB along with a Gmail message.
Question – 2: I am not able to receive emails on my Gmail account while using it on Google Chrome?
Answer: Those who are not able to receive Gmail emails on Google Chrome should check the internet connectivity. Apart from this, they should check the filters and make sure that emails are not landing in the wrong folders. In addition to this, they should also make sure that they have not blocked the sender by mistake.
Question – 3: I am finding it difficult to clear the cache and cookies of my Chrome browser. Can I please help me?
Answer: Well, it is very easy. We are providing a shortcut method to do so. Just follow the steps listed below.
- First of all, you need to press “Ctrl + H” buttons from your keyboard.
- Then, from the left-hand side panel, you should click on the “Clear browsing data” option.
- Now, a new small window will appear on your screen.
- Here, you should open the “Advanced” tab and select the “Time range” for which you are looking to clear the cache and cookies. At this point, you should make sure that the checkboxes against cache and cookies are selected.
- Finally, click “clear data” to finish up the process.
Question – 4: The size of the file I am trying to send through Gmail is less than 25 MB still the attachment is not sent?
Answer: Please note that Google blocks many file types in Gmail. Make sure that you are not sending any of the following file types through Gmail – .ade, .adp, .apk, .appx, .appxbundle, .bat, .cab, .chm, .cmd, .com, .cpl, .dll, .dmg, .ex, .ex_, .exe, .hta, .ins, .isp, .iso, .jar, .js, .jse, .lib, .lnk, .mde, .msc, .msi, .msix, .msixbundle, .msp, .mst, .nsh, .pif, .ps1, .scr, .sct, .shb, .sys, .vb, .vbe, .vbs, .vxd, .wsc, .wsf, .wsh.